Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Kaylea Loves Books

Ever since she was a little baby Kaylea has always enjoyed reading books. It is her favorite thing to do. We have many books but none that Kaylea can read yet herself obviously. But she sure does try! If we are not reading to her - she will make up her own story to the book by looking at the pictures. She is gaining quite an imagination!

Well today I read a really great review of some books called "Bob Books" on Thingamababy.com (one of my favorite blogs to read). The writer of this blog has a 3 and a half year old daughter and she is much like Kaylea and enjoys reading. They started teaching her to read with these Bob Books and she is already reading at a first grade level.

Kaylea is very smart (not biased or anything) and I truly think she will be reading early because she shows such an interest in it. So, I figured since her birthday was coming up and some of you might need some ideas, I think the "Bob Books for Beginners" would be an affordable and wonderful idea for a birthday present! (They are available on Amazon.com but also at your local big box bookstores) hint hint ;-)

And if you get a chance check out the post on Thingamababy (click here) In this post he shares about some various Montesorri teaching methods which I never knew and I found to be really interesting. For instance - teaching the alphabet phonetically (ahh, buhh, cuh) and breaking up words to make it easier to pronounce and then putting them together again. Also he mentions "sight words". I have thought about this for both numbers and words. Just this weekend I was looking at flashcards for 3 year olds to help them learn words and numbers. (Also a great birthday idea!)

I really want to start working with Kaylea on a daily basis with reading and learning numbers etc. One of her favorite things to do when she gets home is sit with me and do a Preschool Workbook. You would be amazed. It shows her three pictures and it says circle the one that doesn't belong - and she does! She is counting perfectly now (at least to 10 or 12) and can draw really good circles! I'm definitely a proud mama if you can't tell!


Here is a picture of Kaylea and her "Me-Maw" (my grandma on my mom's side) reading together. This is from this summer when we went to Kentucky. I was very happy that Kaylea got to meet "Me-Maw". It was one of the highlights of the trip. I love you Grandma!

No comments: